- About Us
- Home Ownership
- News & Events
- ReStore Elgin
- Contact Us
Qualifications for Habitat Homeowners
- Applicant(s) must be citizens or legal residents of the U.S. who live or work in our service area for at least one year. Our service area is south of Route 176, west of Route 59, north of Route 38 and east of Route 47 (for a map of our service area, please Click Here). We also serve those living in the upper northwest corner of Cook County. This does not include Chicago. If you would like the address and phone number of a Habitat affiliate in your area, go to the list of local affiliates on the Chicagoland Habitat for Humanity website.
- Only families that cannot purchase a house through conventional financing will be considered. If you currently own a home, you are not eligible to apply.
- Applicant(s) must be able to show a stable income record and demonstrate a history of financial responsibility. (Credit reports will be requested during the process and other references including landlord and employment will be requested and verified.)
- Must meet the minimum income requirements, as determined by the number of individuals planning to live in the home.
- Applicant(s) must show visible evidence of concern for proper maintenance of their present living quarters.
- Applicant(s) must be willing to develop the skills necessary for proper home maintenance.
- Families are expected to assist in the construction of their house and the houses of others in the Habitat for Humanity of Northern Fox Valley program. This may include clearing the lot, painting, helping with the actual construction, providing food or drinks for the workers, or other activities.
Adult applicant(s) must agree to commit a minimum of 250 (not to exceed 500 hours per couple) “sweat equity” hours and a minimum of $1100 down payment prior to moving into a Habitat for Humanity house.
Do I qualify?
Before attending a Homeowner Orientation, please download and complete the Self Assessment Questionnaire. The completed form may then be returned to Jordan Pimentel, Family Services Coordinator.
¿Cómo puedo calificar?
Antes de asistir a una orientación, descargar el cuestionario de autoevaluación. Complete el formulario y devolverlo a Connie Kitzinger, Coordinador de Servicios de Familia.